Sunday, March 11, 2012

Guest Blogger DIY: Kristi Taylor

[ Kristi is one of my oldest and best friends. We spent many weekends in high school coming up with the newest crafts and doing anything and everything we could with modge podge. She is fun and super crafty, so I asked her to share one of her latest projects here. You can also keep up with her on her cute little blog, here. Enjoy! ]

So, in my blogging addiction I noticed that these yarn letters are all the rage at weddings and in nurseries. I've made a handful as gifts and wanted to post the world's easiest DIY project! Ere goes one of the easiest crafts you'll do this year!


Supplies needed:

  1. Chipboard letters. (I get mine from Hobby Lobby for about $2 a piece.)
  2. Yarn. (I use Vanna brand, mostly, but I also really enjoy Caron.)
  3. Some Mod Podge.


1. Start with your letter. I made this one for my godson, Seth. I think it will go great in his room!

2. Grab the end of your yarn and and start wrapping! I keep the end loose and then wrap the yarn around it in order to keep it in place. It's really quite easy.

3. For the ends of the S, it's best to wrap horizontally, and then go back and wrap vertically. You want to make sure that your yarn, for the most part, is all going in the same direction over the entire letter.

4. Keep doing this until the entire letter is covered! Some parts, like the end curves of the 'S' will be thicker- to fix that all you need to do is keep looping/wrapping the yarn around the thinner parts of the letter. Do this until the letter is even thickness (if that matters to you). Then, snip the end and grab your mod podge. Hold the yarn in place and glob the glue to the loose end and to the yarn that is already secured. You can also trim it longer and knot it, if you like. If you choose the Mod Podge method, this is what you will end up with.

5. Wait for it to dry, flip it over and admire your finished product. It should look like this.


HOORAY! It's really that easy. It takes about 20 minutes, depending on your letter. A's, B's, D's and other letters with an opening in the middle are a bit more difficult- but are still very simple. You could spell your whole name, write a word, some letters, or, like I plan on doing for my godson, the whole alphabet!


KT


No comments:

Post a Comment