Wednesday, April 4, 2012

DIY: Potato stamp fun

Sometimes it just feels nice to start making something you know you can finish all in one sitting. This is one of those things, I promise.

Here's what you'll need:

A carving utensil (a small knife works fine for larger designs)
A potato! I used a sweet one (aw) just because I had one already
Paint of your choice
Some pretty paper, or cloth to print on
& if your the kind of person that always needs a ban-aid, maybe grab one of those too.

First, wrap your mind around the idea that you carve away what you don't want. For some reason that concept took me a second, but I am sure you are quite the whiz and think less of me for hesitating. Thats okay.
Then if you need a guide, draw your design on your potato before you begin cutting away. If you mess up, or your "hand slips" you can always just cut an inch or so off and start again.
Finally test it out with a couple trials runs, just to make sure it stamps evenly and your happy with the print. Then dip your cute little potato in the paint and stamp away!
Remember, simple works! This flower (aka, swirl) design did just the trick for a little project I'm working on. Happy creating!


meg

No comments:

Post a Comment