Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipes(!) :Tacos Al Pastor

I live with two of my closest friends and once a week we each cook a meal and eat together. This is great because we get to spend time together amidst our busy schedules, eat two meals a week we didn’t have to prepare and get a little creative in the kitchen!

Last year I lived in North Carolina and there was a local Mexican restaurant there that I loved. I went almost every week (sometimes more than once a week) and ordered the same thing every time, Tacos Al Pastor. I am usually the kind of person that is always up for trying new things, but this meal and I were in a committed relationship.

So recently I decided to find a recipe that came close to what I remember since I haven’t been able to find a place around here that makes them quite the same.

Here is what I came up with:

Tacos Al Pastor
Step one: Marinate the chicken (you could use pork too) overnight in sauce made up of the following: 1 small white onion chopped, ½ of a fresh Pineapple, a cup of orange juice, a little white vinegar, ¼ cup of chili powder, a few garlic cloves (to taste) , and a dash of kosher salt, oregano, and cumin. I put in some extra cumin just because I love it. You can also use fresh peppers to give it more of a kick but I used a spoon full of my favorite green chili salsa. Mix all of these ingredients in a blender until smooth. Then pour sauce into a ziploc bag with the chicken and chill overnight.

Step two: The next day grill the chicken outside or cook on the stove top until Its done. I used the stovetop because well, we live in an apartment. As it was cooking I cut up the chicken into little squares which helped with the preparation time. While the chicken sizzling on the stove cut up the other ½ of the pineapple, another white onion and some fresh cilantro. Serve on flour or corn tortillas with chicken, pineapple, onions, cilantro, salsa and some fresh lime juice!
This one is a keeper for sure, it was so good. Enjoy!


meg

No comments:

Post a Comment